While I was surfing the net the other day, I came across a nice post from Tough Motivation blog by Kati Nelson. The name of the post was “10 Signs You’re Being Too Nice“. I really like what she listed as the signs for being too nice, however, I don’t think all the list can be classified as signs to being nice. In this post I will list the items that I think they can be related to being nice.
Signs that you are being TOO NICE
- You apologize even if you are not to blame. I can’t recall the many times I have said “sorry” to people I know or don’t even know for things that happened accidentally. We do it (at least I do it) out of modesty. Kati said that her professors in college lectured them about this issue. They were told not to apologize for things that are beyond their control. This will only make you look guilty and hence disgraced.
- You trust EVERYBODY. There isn’t a person in the world that you do not trust. It is your blood that you trust everyone. “Your trust-o-meter is broken” said Kati. You seldom question what people are saying about others or the facts that they state.
- You never ask for help. You think you can handle everything on your own, so you never ask others for help. Of course others can ask you for help and you are more than willing to help them in whatever things they need help in. But! Where would that leave you? All stressed out and struggling to get relief and comfort in your life.
- You won’t decide about something if it involves others. To you, making a decision is by far one of the hardest tasks. Where do you want to eat? I don’t care.. where do you want to eat? I asked you first! You’re too nice so you don’t want to pick something that the other person might not like. You will probably eat something you hate if they suggest it, because you don’t want to feel bad for telling them you don’t like it.
- Aren’t you the family shrink! You might as well change your name to Dr. Phil as Kati suggests. Believe me, you are the best listener out there. You can listen to people complain about their lives all day. But when it is your turn to complain, you don’t. You feel too bad to complain to others about anything. You just don’t want to bother them with your problems. You will just keep it to yourself.
Source: 10 Signs You’re Being Too Nice